Thursday, March 12, 2009

Northern Kauai

Entry by Mark


Rebecca and I played in surf around the hotel yesterday during the morning, and then drove to the eastern and northern parts of the island yesterday afternoon. It gave me an idea of the size of the island. Also, it really reinforced the nickname of the "Garden Island" for Kauai. Everything is very lush here, and the people who live here are very cheerful and friendly. Our tour guide during the Allerton Garden tour said that he came here for Spring Break in the early 60's and never went home. I can see why.

One of the stops we made along the way was a quilting shop for Rebecca to browse. I loved this shop mainly because it had a nice deck out front with comfy chairs and I had a very nice nap in one. Every store should adopt this approach and everyone would be much happier. There were also nice flowers at front and I distracted myself for while taking photos.





We drove all the way until the road ended on the north of island (or at least until the road dissolved to the point we were afraid to even take the rental car)(this place is like a testing facility for cars, only the strong survive). I think the beach was called the "Tunnels Beach" because there were tunnels carved into the cliffs, but I am not sure.




Every beach has lava rocks laying about (obviously).





I took about 20 pictures of this shell, this the one that turned out the most clear. The shell itself is only about a 1/4" long, so my camera was having a difficult time trying to figure out what I was trying to focus on.




Everywhere you turn, you see lush growth.





Rebecca took most of the photos on this today, including alot of the close-ups on the items on the beach and the mountain views. Here is an artsy photo of the foam on top of the water.




Rebecca found many interesting rocks, coral and shells on the beach.







This is from a scenic overlook.




On the way back, Rebecca took several pictures from the car (I think I offered to stop, but we were ready to go home and there weren't many places to pull over). They turned out great and give an idea of the geography of the land.

No comments: